- Because we are 10 years apart, he was basically my baby when he was born. I have always loved kids and all growing up I would beg for a little brother or sister. When I got him I toted him around like a baby doll and he let me (for a little while, at least)! Not just anyone would do that...
- Although there have definitely been some rough times, I feel like he's been able to trust me and tell me things that he wasn't comfortable telling Mom & Dad just yet, and I'm so very thankful for that!
- Reed & I couldn't be more opposite, I don't think, but he hasn't been afraid to be different than me. I think it's very important for him to become his own person.
- It's been tough missing out on some important parts of his life since I moved away, but I love that he calls me from time to time to give me updates about what's going on and what he's involved in. As a matter of fact, he called me just the other day to tell me that he had been nominated for a scholarship that I was awarded in 8th grade. I was the first recipient ever, and that award is very, very important to me. I'm not sure I've ever been as proud of him as I was when he said that he was a nominee as well!
- He's never ever ashamed to tell me that he loves me and give me a big, fat kiss on the cheek!!
- Music has always been a big thing in our family, and Reed just never really liked it or picked up on it. I thought he was weird. Ha. Then one day (practically), he just up and decided he'd play guitar. Bam! He does. He decides to start a band. Bam! It's together. I saw their first "gig" at a youth lock-in back in the fall and prepared myself for the worst and practiced my best "you guys have improved" speech, without focusing on any negative. I was blown away, and I guarantee I'll be one of his worst critics. Even more so, Reed is one of the leaders in the band, even as the youngest guy. He amazes me how he picks up so easily by ear. I swear he can play anything with strings. And did I mention that he made the high school drumline while in 8th grade? And did I also mention that his main focus is guitar? So that means he does both really well!! Amazing, right?
- I love that he's so involved in the youth group back home and he isn't embarrassed to talk about being a Christian. I actually look up to him for that quite a bit.
- I love when he comes and stays with me. Last time he came up after Easter and we had the 3 hour drive back to Nashville. Just laughing and talking and singing at the top of our lungs to "Bohemian Rhapsody" in goofy voices has gone down as one of my favorite memories with him.
- Another way he isn't like me...I'm up to trying anything at any moment. You have to work a little harder on Reed, and when he commits, he's all in. I love roller coasters and thrill rides. There have been several times that I've wanted someone to ride with me when we go to theme parks and he was always too scared. Finally, 2 summers ago, he and I were at Universal 's Islands of Adventure (love that place) and he tried the best...The Hulk. And he LOVED it. I was so proud of him!!! We're already planning a trip back when the Harry Potter area opens up in 2009! :)
- Also when he was here last, I broke my toe. :( A week later and he was home, he sent me a text message out of the blue asking me how I was feeling. It absolutely made my day!
- When I worked with Jason Aldean, I got to take Reed around with me on a few different things and Reed got to know the guys in the band. One day I had to take some guitars out to the bus before they got out on the road and Reed was in town with me and got to go also. Some of the guys gave him a tour of the bus and Reed was very...cool about it. He could have easily freaked out, like a lot of fans would, but he kept his cool and the guys responded better to that. I was very proud and excited for him to get to do that!
- After getting super involved in music and seeing what I do and other people around me do for a living, he has his mind set on the music business, and I couldn't be more proud that he wants to follow in my footsteps and enter this crazy world!!
- He's very goal-oriented. Anything he sets his mind to, he can accomplish. He used to be this rolly polly pudgy little boy (haha!! That's not mean if he openly admits it too, right?) and started working out and walking with Daddy and now he's TONS taller than me and skinny and a pretty handsome little fella, if I do say so myself.
- And finally, I absolutely adore and love my little brother because he's mine!!! We've definitely had our ups and downs and knock-down, drag out fights, but he and I are both learning and growing and I wouldn't trade him for the world!
Happy, happy birthday Reed Man!!!

**Daddy sent the link to this post to practically everyone in his address book. Because the comments they made back to him in email were so special to me, I have copied and pasted them in the comments on here.**




14 comments:
THAT was an awesome post - I can't believe how fast time passes and that the little guy that mocked me when I told him that my yard looked "dead, dead, dead" is 14! Yikes!! I think he was 1 1/2 or 2 when he started trying to repeat everything we said. And like you, I tried to turn him into my baby and loved it when I could keep you both. Ahhhh, the memories. Happy Birthday, Reed-o!!!XOXOXOXO
Lo & fam
You just don't have a clue how proud I am of both you and Reed and to read what you said about him is the most awesome birthday present anyone could ever have. I just pray that 10 years from now he will be as happy and satisfied with how his life has turned out at that point as you. I love you so very much and can't wait to see you this week-end.
Whitney, this is so precious! Reed definitely has the greatest big sister EVER! :) -Caley
great way to feel about a brother--may you and he always have that feeling--things change so much, so fast these days-- happy bd to reed and good to hear from you--
love you lbrat
Oh my gosh - you have two wonderful children - I am so proud and love both of them very much---PLEASE TELL REED MAN HAPPY BIRTHDAY from the Memphis bunch.
Love you!
Kim
WOW!!!!!!!! You are very blessed!!! I enjoyed very much.
We all are very blessed!!!! Tell Reed Happy Birthday from Judy
and me.
Jackie Suggs
You truly are! What a joy!
Paige Berryman
Jack Bob......those 14 reasons are excellent.....man it does not seem possbile that Reed is 14. Glad to hear his music is doing well. We are doing great. Eli and Grayci just had their first birthday........I, like you, and richly blessed.
Eli
I can see why you think you are blessed. Isn't it great to have kids?
Larry Cromer
How precious!! I knew Whitney had it in her!! She is quite a great big sister!! You are one very lucky Dad!!! Thanks for sharing!! ~Renee :)
THAT SHOULD MAKE YOU PROUD BUDDY> NICE GIRL. AND HAPPY BIRTHDAY REED. Joe
Awesome!! Sometimes that 10yrs interferes with sibling bonding---obviously not here.
Doc
That is super good stuff. I have a sister that is 10 years older than me. I cannot imagine her saying those things about me.
Paul Aylor
Well today Reed is 14 years old and wow how this 14 years have gone by. I know some of you read Whitney's blog but if you get time go to the link below and read the 14 reasons she loves and is proud of him.....Yea it made me cry like a baby but I think you will enjoy. How blessed I am.
Jack
Post a Comment